You are invited to join a cross-disciplinary learning community of 15 undergraduate field educators interested in designing inclusive student-centered Undergraduate Field Experiences (UFEs). In this group, we will explore how to apply the recently-developed UFERN Framework to design, implement, and assess student-centered Undergraduate Field Experiences (UFEs).
Selected undergraduate field educators will:
- Participate in a professional learning community focused on using the newly developed UFERN Framework in program design, implementation and assessment.
- Participate and fully engage in six hours of synchronous virtual workshops and asynchronous informal discussions between January 25th and April 2021, and two additional follow-up sessions in the summer and fall of 2021. First meeting is January 27th, 10 -11:30 pacific (1 – 2:30 eastern).
- Use the UFERN Framework to guide the planning of new or revised program elements in their UFE.
- Implement their modified UFE in the spring or summer of 2021 and reflect on the implementation and student experience.
- Reflect and share about their experiences with the UFERN Framework to support effective use of the UFERN Framework in future efforts.
To support time and effort, participants will receive a $1,000 stipend for meeting the expectations listed above.
To apply, please complete the short application found HERE. We will start reviewing applications on January 6th, 2021 and make final notifications about selections by January 11th. We invite applications from faculty and program directors teaching and guiding a range of disciplines and UFE formats (e.g., Undergraduate Research Experiences, residential field courses, campus-based field courses).
The goals of the UFERN Framework Initiative are to:
- Support a small group of field educators in intentional design, implementation and assessment of student-centered undergraduate field experiences in a range of field learning contexts.
- Develop effective strategies for supporting undergraduate field educators in using the UFERN Framework as an aid for designing, implementing, and assessing student-centered Undergraduate Field Experience programs.
- Assemble vignettes featuring applications of the UFERN Framework in a range of program contexts.
- Expand the community of field educators interested in designing, implementing, and assessing student-centered undergraduate field learning experiences.
The UFERN Framework initiative is supplemental funding for Award No. 1730756 RCN-UBE Building capacity for evidence-based undergraduate field experiences. Visit our website for more information about UFERN. Please direct any questions to Kelly.email@example.com and Kari.firstname.lastname@example.org.